Saturday, August 29, 2009

Offer to my admirable vegetarian friends

I have several vegetarian friends (and even two vegan friends). Though I am an omnivore, I would like to say just how impressed I am with their will and dedication. I imagine it is not easy, in a society where eating animals is central to most meals and where eating is an important part of culture, to abstain from eating meat. Be that as it may, there are several reasons to be vegetarian. Here are a few of those reasons.

The Environment
Animal grazing destroys natural habitats, riparian areas and emits large amounts of greenhouse gasses. It is a wonder to me that with so many negative externalities, the government (in an attempt to save jobs) subsidizes the meat industry with underpriced grazing access to federal lands and import limits on meat exporting nations. Instead, there should be a higher tax imposed on meat (in particular beef) to price in the whole cost of meat consumption.

Health
I’m no nutritionist but I don’t think I’ve ever heard a health expert suggest that we should eat more hormone injected red meat.

Cost
Eating meat is expensive. Thanks to my parents, I have been indoctrinated with a from-the-farm Idaho Mormon passion for frugality. While meat tastes great and can make one satisfying meal, it can also double the cost. Too rich for my blood (who says that?).

Animal Cruelty
The way the meat industry raises and slaughters the animals we eat can be less than humane at best. Nobody likes to see a living being suffer.

Whatever your reason for being vegetarian, I believe it is a noble one. That being said I would like to offer a standing invitation. If ever any of you vegetarians have an unquenchable hunger for meat and need moral support to bring yourself to temporarily lapse on your animal friendly commitment, I stand at the ready. We could go out for rodízio or I could fry up some steaks on my grill. If you want your indulgence to remain a secret, I won’t tell anyone—not your spouse, not even my wife.

Your judgment free pork chop awaits.

-Andrew

3 comments:

Patrick said...

I think I disagree on the cost issue. I feel like we spend more on groceries and eating out as vegetarians. For example, we pay $5 per gallon for milk substitutes eg soy, or rice milk, while regular milk costs around $3. It makes no sense from a cost perspective, but they know that people who are particular about what they eat are willing to spend more, so they charge more. They must have gone to business school.

Patrick

mark berger said...

you mentioned the from the farm mormon frugality that you got from your parents. But you also failed to mention the Beef 4 days a week mentality that comes along with the idaho mentality.

and i would disagree with you on cost. Whopper Jr.'s are a buck!

Caleb said...

I agree that eating vegetarian can be more expensive. But I I disagree that it necessarily is. I eat on a ridiculously low budget, and one that makes me largely a vegetarian, because of the cost of meat. Of course, I'm also buying the cheapest of vegetables and eating a ton of rice and pasta haha.